Monday, July 04, 2005

Coldplay - X & Y (2005)


Genre- Rock, Adult Alternative, Brit Pop

This is a fantastic album. It is nearly perfect and it is certainly a great follow up to A Rush of Blood to the Head. This is also X & Y’s weakness. Lyrically and musically there is very little difference between A Rush of Blood to the Head and X & Y. Chris Martin’s lyrics are vague, which makes it easy for the listener to identify with. Musically, they are clean, seemingly crafting songs easily, but also without challenge for the listener. It took three years for this new album to be released, but it seems as though nothing has changed. On the one hand this is good because A Rush of Blood to the Head is an excellent album. However, it is a bad thing that Coldplay didn’t grow musically in those three years. It makes me wonder if Coldplay just hit the pinnacle of their career. If they dare to change in the future will their fans accept it? I don’t know the answer, but I do know this is a fantastic record. Coldplay has solidified itself as one of the biggest rock bands in the world and they deserve it. The standout tracks are Square One, Talk, Speed of Sound and Low.

Rating- 8/10

Buy it at Insound!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think the 22.20's album is miles better than any Coldplay album I've heard. But maybe thats just me being biased.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your blog Dave Van Zandt. It is obvious you've taken a good deal of time and thought to put together something like this. I take pride in my sites too, and you may be interested in visting my latest one at www.coldplaygle.com. It is a fun search site called ColdPlaygle. which pays a tribute to ColdPlay and is powered by Google. I just wanted to make search engines a bit more interesting. Best regards anyway, and good luck with your blog(s).