Saturday, July 23, 2005

Wilderness - Wilderness (2005)


Genre- Indie Rock, Post-Rock

Wilderness are from the Baltimore, Maryland area. They record on the Jagjaguwar label. This is Wilderness’ debut release and it is a good one. Before I talk about how great the music is I must address the vocals on the album. James Johnson really doesn’t sing. He more or less sounds like an announcer. It reminds me of early David Byrne or even at times like Les Claypool’s sing/speak structure. Lyrically Johnson focuses on the abstract and political, which causes you to focus less on his singing and more on his words. This is a good thing because James Johnson cannot sing very well. Around the midway point of the album you are hoping Johnson will stop singing and let this be an instrumental album. Musically, the album is fantastic. It features heavy percussion, crashing cymbals, dynamic bass lines and soaring spaced out guitars. It perfectly blends harmony among the chaos they create. This album is on the heavy side of the burned out Post-Rock movement. Needless to say, this recording is far more challenging and dynamic than The Killers or Interpol, who currently dominate the genre. Perhaps this reflects a shift in the movement. Maybe the New Wave infused sounds of the other 1000 bands that sound like The Killers are shifting more toward the Rock side of the movement. I certainly hope so. If it weren’t for the distracting vocals I could probably rate this album a 9/10, but because of the vocals I must give it a 7/10. The best songs are End of Freedom and Say You Can See.

Rating- 7/10

Buy it at Insound!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although you are a very good critic in my opinion, I don't agree with you on this review. I think you were way too kind in giving this album a 7. I think it is the worst album I've ever heard!

Dave Van Zandt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave Van Zandt said...

I am glad you like my reviews. I appreciate your feedback. The beauty of music is how the same sound can affect 2 people in completely different ways. Thanks for writing.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts Dave Van Zandt. I was looking for #KEYWORD## related information and found your blog. I have a jazz music site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave Van Zandt. I was looking for free mp3 downloads related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a free mp3 downloads site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Check it out when you can :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts Dave Van Zandt. I was looking for #KEYWORD## related information and found your blog. I have a jazz music site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave Van Zandt. I was looking for country music related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a country music site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Check it out when you can :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there Dave Van Zandt, I was just browsing, looking for country music related information and found your site. Very Nice! I have a country music site where you can get music of some of today's top artists' such as Green Day, Gwen Stefani, Simple Plan, Usher and many more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!